It is training, not textbooks nor materials, but skilled professional development that is absolutely the most important variable that determines the success of a teacher new to comprehensible input methods.
I have a solution for teachers who want to learn to teach using highly effective comprehensible input methods but cannot take time away from the classroom to travel to a workshop for the professional development that they need. I have collected resources, filmed myself at workshops demonstrating key techniques and arranged it all in a logical sequence to make learning each skill easy for the teacher new to this approach. All together there are 50 short chapters spread out over 7 modules with more than 25 videos (over 266 minutes of footage and more being added).
When you register you get access for a year to the online workshop. You will find materials that you can use immediately in your classes, videos and short essays while you learn the skills at your own pace. Best of all, unlike a live workshop, you will be able to return and watch the demonstration again and again until you can do it confidently in your own classroom. Still not clear? We have an active Facebook support group and I remain closely attentive by email so that you can experience your best teaching year yet.
- This approach led my high-poverty Title 1 public high school to turn around from a near 0% pass rate to a 100% pass rate on both AP and IB exams.
- You not only get access to videos showing how to do each technique, but you get access to Mike’s maravillas, movie talk videos, detailed instructions to making One Word Images, picture talks, a library of original easy to read short stories in French, Spanish & German, suggestions to help you use authentic videos and TV series while remaining comprehensible and so much more.
- You get expert advice on the nuts and bolts of running a CI classroom, including classroom management, getting buy-in from parents, setting up your room, the first days of school, how to set up your grade book, how to plan your lessons from day to day as well as long-term planning for the whole year and longer. You’ll learn the best way to give exit quizzes and fluency writes and how to build your class-created library easily (without tons of added work for you) so that even your lowest-level readers will have something to read during the pleasure reading sessions.
- Full student access to eBook novels that I have written in French, German, Spanish & Portuguese are included for each teacher account.
- There is an entire module designed to help you provide the best learning experience possible for your heritage language learners, or students who speak Spanish at home.
- Build the classroom library of your dreams and confidently use it to differentiate instruction with my recommendations on browsing strategies, powerful display and how to build a class culture that loves reading.
- I also include substitute plans that you can even use when you are in class but just need a quiet day!